Pivot Cycles Mach 4 SL World Cup XX SL
The Mach 4 SL was made for XC racing, to a design brief calling for “World Cup focus, but let it punch above its weight”. In other words, it achieves the fast, light build favoured by XC specialists, without compromising on handling and ride quality.
This unyielding performance has its roots in Pivot’s proprietary Hollow Core Carbon frame construction, which gets lighter with each generation, with even the rear shock’s rocker link having been thoughtfully slimmed down. Nonetheless, the carbon maintains the strength and stiffness required to stand up to hard riding.
The geometry of this frame incorporates a relaxed head angle, a long reach and long wheelbase, for stability, and a steep seat angle, for a lower centre of gravity, increased composure and better control over the bike at high speeds.
Since each frame undergoes independent strength to weight analysis and is constructed from custom-tuned carbon to ensure consistent stiffness, you can be sure that the same performance benefits will be delivered, regardless of frame size, especially since the two smallest sizes sport correspondingly lighter shock valving.
As ever, the brand’s flip-chip helps to boost the Mach 4 SL’s versatility, yielding either 95mm or 103mm of rear travel with this build, delivered by a light Fox Factory DPS shock that offers three graduated damping positions, allowing it to respond appropriately to different degrees of impact. As a bonus, the shock’s upright position means that, even on the smallest frame option, there’s room for a water bottle – or two, with larger sizes – and clearance for a solid 2.4” tyre.
Pivot’s trademark, position sensitive dw-linkTM suspension, meanwhile, has been tweaked to combat pedal bob more efficiently than ever, so it delivers a plusher, more comfortable ride, whilst saving energy when you’re putting in maximum effort. Its kinematics have also been refined to lend power to your pedal strokes, not to mention an admirable responsiveness, so that you’ll feel in full control and ready to not just respond to, but enjoy, whatever the trail throws at you.
All of this means the Mach 4 SL frame, which weighs around 1.66kg on its own, 1.93kg with the addition of a rear shock and under 10.5kg fully built, is light and speedy enough to take you to the podium, while also offering a soft enough ride to preserve your energy, along with outstanding control and handling. It will give you the required confidence to put in your best effort during the race, even over challenging, variable terrain.
- Designed for XC racing, with handling and speed prioritised as much as a low weight
- With geometry made to ensure control at speed
- With light Hollow Core moulded carbon frame
- 5 different frame sizes to deliver the same benefits to riders of all builds
- With dw-linkTM suspension to maximise rearward wheel path, delivering responsiveness with control
- Corrosion-resistant, Kashima coated Fox Factory DPS rear shock, size 190x40mm, delivers either 95 or 103mm of rear travel
- Kashima coated Fox Factory Stepcast 32 fork with remote, 29” size, 44mm offset with Fit 4 damper, gives 100mm of travel
- Uses light, durable Newman Advanced SL carbon XC and trail wheelset, 30mm – 29”, 15x110 centre lock F/12x148 XD centre lock R
- With wide, abrasion resistant, tubeless ready 120 TPI Maxxis Rekon Race 29” x 2.40” tyres
- Features the hangerless SRAM XX SL Eagle Transmission 12-Speed rear derailleur, for top XC performance
- With ultralight SRAM XX SL 1299 Eagle Transmission 10-52t cassette for smooth gear changes
- Uses light, ergonomic and intuitive SRAM AXS Pod Ultimate Controller, with interchangeable convex and concave buttons
- Brakes are light, sleek and smooth acting SRAM Level Ultimate Stealth 2-Piston
- With SRAM’s lightest, sleekest, strongest crank set, the XX SL Eagle DUB 34t
- Stiff Phoenix Team Flat Carbon handlebar dampens vibrations and maximises control
- Highly accurate steering with Pivot Cycles' own stiff, shaped Phoenix Team XC/Trail stem
- With lightweight performance from Fox Transfer SL Factory 100mm seatpost
- Comfortable, versatile Phoenix WTB Volt narrow width saddle with carbon rails